Therapy Thursday by Donna Fitzgerald


                                ROCK CONCERT THERAPY !


            For everyone that knows me y’all know that I live with my husband Bob and my son Jacob.  You also know that if you show up to visit or call me on the phone for a chat, chances are you will hear music in the background.  No it’s not the radio, it’s coming from the garage because you see I live with two Rock stars!  To use that term loosely would be a mortal sin!  Before you get all excited and want to know where you can get your tickets, I should tell you all that no tickets are needed for these superstars.  They will play for free for anyone who shows up to listen. 
The following account of Wednesday night is based on true events and should not be mimicked unless you are a professional.  My guys as, I lovingly refer to them as, set off yesterday for Atlanta at 3:30 p.m. on the nose.  Their journey would take them to the Phillips Arena to see Nickelback. Now I need to remind you that they are some die hard rock and rollers and this isn’t their first time around the block in the concert neighborhood.  Together they have an astounding number of concerts under their belts. And yes although Jacob is only fourteen he has seen more bands than most guys twice his age.  They hauled their cookies two hours away to see three opening bands and then the mother of them all for that night Nickelback!
            I text them a little before nine p.m. to see if the headlining band had taken the stage yet and they were anxiously waiting.  I got worried when the bewitching hour rolled around and I still hadn’t heard anything else from them; so I called.  They were just getting on I-85 when I talked to Jacob and they were heading back home.  I asked him how the concert was and without taking a breath he informed me that Nickelback was better than Kiss or Motley Crue!
 Now everyone knows that since my son was the tender age of two he has been a die hard Kiss fan.  He got his wish when last September his three aunts and I took him to his first Kiss concert. He walked up at the Bilo center with an entourage of women sporting a ‘Yeah, Their All Mine’ smile.  He came out proclaiming Kiss as the greatest band he had ever seen.  I smiled to myself because I had taken him as a Christmas gift in March of ’09 to see Motley Crue.  And after that concert he again proclaimed they were the best band he’s ever seen.  Well that phase has stuck up until last night. I think the Crue may have some competition.
            They came rolling in about two a.m. I asked how was the concert?  We spend the next hour talking about how Nickelback was the greatest band he had ever seen with Bob ranking them in the top five.
            Today the hubbub has died down somewhat.  Bob is now in the garage playing Boston and Jacob has been to my computer showing me the songs of Nickelback that would great to write to.  I smile to myself because I know that for now Nickelback rules until the next band rolls into town!
            A little background info there for those of you who had no idea; when I met Bob he was hawt, but when he picked up the guitar and played a song for me I was done.   Jacob has followed in his B-Daddy’s footsteps since he got his first guitar at age twelve and with the help of B-Daddy he has been tearing the rock songs up! We are now up to two guitars and he hasn’t lost his passion and yes, he knows even more songs!  So with that being said, if you’re ever in the neighborhood stop by, you won’t regret it!

            Oh yeah and my thoughts on Rock therapy you might be wondering.  Well, lets just say that without the music I find on utube, the songs Jacob and Bob tell me about, or that I hear them playing in the garage when I’m having trouble with a chapter or a scene, I couldn’t get the first line typed!  
0 Responses